How to NOT hit a motorcyclist. How to not get hit on your motorcycle.
How to not hit a motorcyclist:
- Perform a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or exiting a lane of traffic, and at intersections.
- ALWAYS signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
- Don't be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to tur...n them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is going to turn before you proceed.
- ALLOW MORE FOLLOWING DISTANCE – three or four seconds – when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
- NEVER TAILGATE. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.
- Never drive while DISTRACTED or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
How to not get hit by a car while on your motorcycle:
- Avoid riding in poor weather conditions;
- Wear brightly colored protective gear and a DOT-compliant helmet;
- Use turn signals for EVERY turn or lane change, EVEN IF YOU THINK NO ONE WILL SEE IT.
- COMBINE hand signals and turn signals to draw more attention to yourself.
- Position yourself in the lane where you will be most visible to other drivers
- Never drive while impaired.